Interesting Facts about Singapore
Interesting Facts about Singapore
Singapore is one of the smallest countries in the world but it has largest, first, fastest and best of things. We have compiled a list of interesting and fun facts about Singapore below:
- Singapore is made up of 63 ISLANDS – Most of those islands are largely unoccupied and used for military or industrial purposes.
Fun Fact: Kusu Island is named due to its shape resembling a turtle.
- Singapore is one of only three surviving CITY-STATES in the world – The other two city-states that don’t have a capital are Monaco & Vatican City
Fun Fact: There is another Singapore in the world – a famous ghost town in Michigan.
- Singaporeans are the fastest walkers on the planet – Singaporeans have the fastest walking speed of an average about 6.15km per hour (18 metres in 10.55 seconds).
Fun Fact: Singapore is top 2 in Asia for best quality of life and 4th best environment, facilities and infrastructure available for citizens to enjoy a good quality in the world.
- Singapore is first in Global Innovation Index in Asia Pacific region – Global Innovation Index looks at “Effective Innovation Policies for Development”.
Fun Fact: Singapore has best intellectual property protection in Asia and fourth in the world.
- World Toilet Organisation was founded in Singapore – Jack Sim founded the World Toilet Organisation (WTO) in 2001.
Fun Fact: You can get fined up to $500 for not flushing after you use the toilet. And, there is a Restroom Association of Singapore (RAS) which eradicates messy areas and spread good toilet etiquette.
- LARGEST FOUNTAIN in the world is located in Singapore – Fountain of Wealth at Suntec City is made of cast bronze, it was built in approx. US$6 million in 1997.
Fun Fact: It is symbolic representation of the oneness in spirit, unity and harmony among the four races in Singapore.
- SGD 1,000 note has National Anthem on it – National anthem is in microtext on the back of the S$1,000 note
Fun Fact: The highest price paid for a single note in an auction was S$1,000 with serial number 2AA000001 and signed by then MAS Chairman Mr Goh Chok Tong. It was sold for S$155,000 !
- Singapore is among the 20 smallest countries in the world – Singapore has total land area of only 682.7 square kilometers (USA is about 15,000 times bigger than Singapore).
Fun Fact: Singapore today is over 23% bigger than it was before any reclamation work.
- Singapore has the world’s first NIGHT ZOO – The Night Safari, the world’s first night zoo. It occupies 35 hectares (86 acres) and currently houses over 2,500 animals representing over 130 species of which 38% are threatened species.
Fun Fact: More than 1.1 million visitors visit the safari per year.
- Singapore is the largest exporter of Ornamental Fish – Contributing to 25% of the world market. Five most popular fish exported from SG are guppies, mollies, platy, goldfish and koi.
Fun Fact: The price ranges from 20 cents to SGD 150 each depending on the size and variety of the fish.
- Singapore has World’s & Asia’s BEST AIRPORT – Changi Airport named as “World’s Best Airport” with 50 million pax+ per year. Since 1987, Singapore’s Changi Airport has consistently won the award for “Best Airport in Asia” till 2014.
Fun Fact: Changi Airport has free movie theatres in Terminals 2 and 3, which screen films 24/7 free-of-charge.
- World’s Largest Tropical Orchid Garden is in Singapore – Founded in 1859, the Singapore Botanic Gardens is the only one in the world that opens for 19 hours every days of the year. It has more than 10,000 species of flora in over 82-hectares area. The Botanic Gardens receives about 4.5 million visitors annually.
Fun Fact: Singapore Botanic Gardens are Singapore’s First UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Singapore has BEST BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT in Asia Pacific and the world – Singapore has the most conducive environment for business in the world. Ranked the most attractive as an investment location globally in 2014.
Fun Fact: Singapore is the most competitive city in the world after Switzerland and best in Asia in terms of lack of corruption and high government efficiency.
- World’s easiest place to do business is Singapore – Singapore has held on to its decade-long place at the top of the World Bank’s ranking of the easiest places to do business. The rankings examined 11 different factors affecting businesses, including starting a business, paying taxes, enforcing contracts and getting construction permits.
Fun Fact: Resolving a commercial dispute in Singapore’s courts generally takes just 150 days, the shortest time in the world.
- Singapore is the MOST TRANSPARENT COUNTRY in the world – Government policies in Singapore are clear and transparent when it comes to business due to clear and strict laws and legislations imposed by the government over business dealings and transactions.
Fun Fact: Singapore is the least corrupt country in the Asia region and 6th in the World.
Compiled and designed by:
Rolling Arrays is Asia’s premier award winning HR Transformation Company, headquartered in Singapore with offices in 6 countries. Since its inception in 2009, Rolling Arrays has successfully delivered more than 100 HR transformation projects for more than 50 blue-chip clients across Asia. A consultative approach to HR Processes, HR Functions and HR Software is Rolling Arrays core expertise and the primary catalyst for its’ success.